Applying For Medicare Part A and Part B
Already Receiving Social Security
Not Receiving Social Security Yet
For those people not yet receiving Social Security benefits, use one of the following methods:
- Enroll online at www.ssa.gov/benefits/medicare
- Click on “Apply For Medicare Only”
- Click “Start a New Application”
- Fill out all of your information and click submit.
- Here is a checklist of the information you will need
- Call Social Security at (800) 772-1213 to schedule your in-person appointment.
- Go in-person without an appointment to your nearest Social Security office. At many locations if you arrive before they open, you’ll be able to get in without an appointment. This is recommended only as a last resort.
IMPORTANT: Get Your Application Summary
Always ask for an “Application Summary” to prove your Medicare Number and effective dates. This is a confirmation that the kind folks at Social Security did their jobs correctly.
Once you enroll in your Medicare Part A and B, you can then begin the process of enrolling in your Part D Drug Plan and either a Medicare Supplement Plan (Medigap) or Medicare Advantage Plan. Neither Social Security nor Medicare is not able to assist you with this because they don’t have the proper licensing and certification.
This Medicare stuff can be confusing, huh? We made a video that goes through Medicare step-by-step. This is the easiest way to learn. Check it out!