Applying For Medicare
- Enroll online at www.ssa.gov/benefits/medicare
- Click on “Apply For Medicare Only”
- Click “Start a New Application”
- Fill out all of your information and click submit.
- Here is a checklist of the information you will need
- Call Social Security at (800) 772-1213 to schedule your in-person appointment.
- Go in-person without an appointment to your nearest Social Security office. At many locations if you arrive before they open, you’ll be able to get in without an appointment. This is recommended only as a last resort.
IMPORTANT: Always ask for an “Application Summary” to prove your Medicare Number and effective dates. This is a confirmation that the kind folks at Social Security did their jobs correctly.
Once you enroll in your Medicare Part A and B, you can then begin the process of enrolling in your Part D Drug Plan and either a Medicare Supplement Plan (Medigap) or Medicare Advantage Plan. Social Security is not able to assist you with these plans as they do not have the proper licensing / education!